One Tip to Take Better Product Photos!
Welcome to the Crystal Clear Podcast where we strive to empower the everyday creative boss to elevate and grow a business that matches your creativity and passion for creating products.
Things mentioned in this podcast episode:
The WHO to your business is the biggest center focus for any marketing you may do now or in the future. I commonly throw out the term ICA which stands for Ideal Client Avatar.
Just in case you’re not familiar with the term here ya go! Your Ideal Client Avatar is the person you’re targeting when you’re advertising your product. When connecting with your ideal client visually, like through photography, think transformation: How can I show my ideal client that my product will provide the satisfactory difference they’re seeking?
So, how does that translate to your photography? Simple, that transformation (end goal) is your focus in the photoshoot.
Determine the transformation and how it relates to the client by showing them where they want to be!
Here are a few examples I go over in this episode to help you get down the idea:
- Clothing Products – the ICA is almost always looking for a lifestyle and will relate to wanting to be like, look like, and/or live the lifestyle you portray that fits that clothing style.
- Skincare Products – the ICA is almost always looking for textures. It’s not just about the look of the skin, but the “feel” that comes with it. So portraying different textures, whether of the product or the props used, are key to displaying the transformation.
- Jewelry – the ICA is almost always looking for emotion: the doting husband buying a stunning ring or necklace to celebrate an anniversary; an inherited family heirloom being passed to the next generation. The transformation is in how it makes your targeted client feel.
- Digital Courses – the ICA is almost always looking for a transformation within themselves and fine tuning a specific skill or working on a specific goal. A common, often sought out goal is growing in social media presence; in this provide a specifically defined end result to be expected, i.e. grow by XX number of followers.
- DIY Digital Products – ICA is almost always looking for an outsourcing option without breaking the budget; seeking opportunities like purchasing templates to create great looking graphics without the pricey cost that comes with custom-to-brand or someone else creating it for them
Need more help with your product photography? My main role as the Creative Director is to help your business by developing the ideas and concepts that tie your images to that ICA’s transformation in a way that helps you increase your sales, visual consistency and grow your audience.
Like this episode?
Comment, share on Pinterest, or even snap a screenshot and tag me on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think about props for product photography.
Corporate America had me at hello for 10 years. And just when I thought I was where I was supposed to be, God changed the narrative and helped me find more time for my husband and two beautiful girls through my own photography business. Now, I live for all things styled photography and serving the business community exclusively through styled imagery and personal brand photography.